Dear Parents and Carers,
As you will be aware over the last week HM Government has outlined its plan for the re-opening of primary schools.
Its intentions are ambitious and challenging at best, and will require an enormous amount of careful planning if we hope to implement it anyway safely. The Senior Leadership Team at St George’s have studied this plan in detail, and in partnership with our governing body, are proceeding methodically and with caution in developing a strategy which might facilitate a phased reopening of St George’s.
Pupil and staff safety will remain the primary concern in any planning and it may not be possible to welcome back all pupils in the way the prime minister has described, whilst maintaining social distancing measures. This may mean that we will only able to bring a smaller number of year groups/pupils back to start with and look to build gradually and methodically.
To reiterate, this means that it may not be possible for all the year groups identified by the government to be back in school on 1st June. The government has indicated that vulnerable pupils and the children of key workers remain the first priority even after 1st June. The government guidance on key workers has not changed.
In considering whether you wish your child to return to school or not at this time, it is important for you to have a sense of what the day/routine may look like and some of the measures we may have to put in place. We will have to be flexible in our planning depending on; the demand for places, the availability of staff, and ensuring we are able to accommodate vulnerable and key worker children.
• Due to staff shielding and self-isolating we cannot guarantee that your child will be with their class teacher. Pupil groups may be supervised by a teacher or support staff member from any year group depending on staff availability and pupil numbers. The aim is that the staff remain the same for each group during this period.
• Depending on the demand for places it may be necessary for pupils to return on a rota basis. If this is the case, whilst we will do our best, we cannot guarantee that pupils would attend school on consecutive days nor that siblings would attend on the same day.
• The length of the school day for each group may be altered in order to facilitate social distancing. This would mean a change to the timings of the start and end of the school day for each pupil group. Again, whilst we will do our best, we cannot guarantee that siblings would be in the same timing groups.
• Pupils will remain in the same group for the entirety of the period and may not necessarily be with their friends. Pupil groups will not mix at break and lunchtimes, these will be staggered to ensure social distancing and appropriate cleaning can take place.
• We are currently considering what reintegration activities and well-being support pupils might need initially, taking into account the different experiences they will have had during the period of school closure. We will not be returning immediately to ‘the curriculum.’
• Children will be required to bring their own pencil case/stationery. We will only be able to use a limited number of school resources in order to maintain appropriate hygiene.
• We will have regular handwashing sessions and will encourage the children to ‘catch it bin it kill.’ Hygiene and the safety and well-being of your child/ren and our staff will be our priority.
• Movement around the school will be reduced. Pupils and staff groups will have limited contact with other groups. Pupils will use one classroom and the playground for all learning and breaks. There will be no use of the assembly hall, music or ICT rooms.
• We do not yet know if the school meals service will be available, for now pupils will be requested to bring a packed lunch. We will of course update you if this changes.
In considering what a safe return for some pupils might look like, it is vitally important that we know how many pupils would intend on returning to school and we therefore would ask you to fill in the survey below by 5pm on Monday 18th May.
Thank you for completing the form.